Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Starters - Django vs Flask

Django aims to follow Python's "batteries included" philosophy. It ships with a variety of extra, optional tools that solve common Web-development problems. 

--

Django's power shines by concept of quick application development where you can find enormous number of full-stack extensions. Getting a boilerplate for Flask will have the same effect but you won't find flask specific applications much, instead you will be able to upgrade components easily.

I'm a Django developer for 5 years but now headed for a marketplace project and that is the only thing I want to develop. I will switch to Flask within a year. I could break Django into parts but that would break current applications, which is also bound to Django version. Yes, I could use well-maintained libraries with Django as well but that wouldn't catch our 'deadlines'. Upgrading Django version with a fresh start is also an option but I don't want to do wide migrations every year.

No regrets using Django up to this point, it really forces you to learn general best practices, and helps you get the funding. I call it a startup framework as it helps you to change your business logic quickly. If you are a starter, go with Django, switching to Flask in future won't be painful once you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment